Welcome to South Lindhurst High School!
South Lindhurst aims to create socially responsible, critical thinkers that are equipped with the academic and social skills required to succeed in the technologically rigorous world.
1. By meeting students where they are at academically when they come to us, we are able to help students gain the skills that will be required to gain high level standard mastery. The level of rigor we expect remains constant, but the diversification of essential skills to accomplish these tasks must be retaught to gain mastery in many situations.
2. By providing flexible learning hours, in a smaller more targeted environment we are better able to remediate at-risk students. Our classes are grouped by level. Learning pods of 12-16 learners remain together throughout their day, making our individualized environment even smaller and more secure, decreasing affective learning filters.
3. By providing links to community through guest speakers from all possible post-secondary options students become aware and empowered to their options after high school. Our students are walked through the FAFSA, helped to find a post-secondary plan via guest speakers from: local Junior colleges, trade and tech schools, military recruiters as well as local professionals. Students are required to complete a senior project that helps them prepare resume’s, explore career and educational options, thus assuring a smoother and more successful transition into post-secondary life.
4. By providing rigorous, technologically relevant expectations that are supported by a diversified fluent curriculum, students are able to remediate lost credits, and develop skills that will allow them to be successful lifelong learners.
South Lindhurst's educational philosophy is “Many path's, one journey”. To us at South, this means that as lifelong learners and humans we are all on the same journey. That journey ends in the fulfillment of our lifelong learning. Along that journey some individuals move slower, others encounter roadblocks or mitigating factors that change the path that they are on. Others flow smoothly through their education. Our philosophy is that with the correct targeted interventions that our students can catch up on their first part of this journey, and while they took a different path to reach completion of their primary education, they can continue on their journey prepared with the skills needed for the rigors of the world.
Expected School-Wide Learning Results
Based on our stated mission and vision, coupled with the core values of our staff and district we have established the following results. SLHS students will develop skills in the following regions:
We believe that South Lindhurst offers the right balance of flexibility and rigor. We have a beautiful campus that was designed, planted and maintained by our students. If you are looking for a second family, South Lindhurst welcomes you!
- South Lindhurst High School believes that high school graduates should not only have academic knowledge, but also be able to exhibit the habits of successful citizens. These habits include working collaboratively, using information to solve complex problems, and being punctual and attentive. SLHS students will:
- Strive to achieve
- Use acquired knowledge to come up with novel solutions to problems.
- Be on time, prepared and ready to work.
- Strive to be accurate and articulate with communication.
- Technology is an embedded part of life both personally and professionally. SLHS students will:
- Learn to use electronic devices to acquire useful and accurate information.
- Decipher the credibility of information on the web.
- Use software applications that allow them to complete written, numerical and graphic problems.
- Our students develop and practice healthy habits in a quest to be physically, emotionally and mentally independent SLHS students will:
- Engage in daily physical activity.
- Maintain healthy relationships.
- Listen empathetically with purpose.
- Make healthy choices about what they put into their body and the effects.